Greg Palast, an investigative journalist, claims J.K. Rowling told him of a rather interesting alternate ending for her beloved Harry Potter series. He revealed this ending on his website (see link below).
Here are the highlights:
* The climactic showdown would have taken place in the Forbidden Forest when Harry makes the journey to face Voldemort.
* Rather than Harry's parents, Lupin, and Sirius walking him to his fate, Tom Riddle's parents appear as his protective, ghostly guides.
* Meanwhile, Voldemort found a way to, in essence, collect hundreds of Dementor's kisses within his wand. Once unleashed, the power of the kiss would forever freeze Harry in place; he would be a cold reminder of Harry's defeat and Voldemort's ultimate triumph.
* Voldemort becomes enraged when he sees the spirits of his parents and immediately sends his spell hurling towards a defenseless Harry.
* Voldemort's ghostly parents soar towards their son. He begins to grow younger and younger, until he becomes a little child once more.
* The curse struck Harry's scar; excruciating pain ensued before the curse turned back towards its sender. As the curse neared, Voldemort's parents placed their arms lovingly around their son. Now, forever more, there would be a monument to three souls: A young Tom Riddle, his protective father, and his loving mother.
Harry Potter, 2130:
* On his 150th birthday, Headmaster Potter knew he would soon fill the empty picture frame alongside Dumbledore and headmistresses McGonagall and Chang.
* Rather than growing old, Ginny transformed into a bird of paradise (and, yes, she can talk).
* After the Dementors escaped Voldemort's spell, the existence of He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named was erased from everyone's memory...except Albus Dumbledore's portrait-self and Harry Potter. No one even wondered about the little entombed family any longer.
* Before Harry attended his 150th birthday celebration, he decided to keep a watchful eye on his great, great grandson.
* Baby Tom was happily playing with a chocolate frog when he exploded in a fit of rage and crushed the candy frog. Harry watched, knowing the wizarding world would face dark times once more.
So, there you have it! Personally, I'm glad she went with the one we have. This one certainly held my attention and I can totally see Harry as a future headmaster of Hogwarts, but I'm not sure I can completely gel with the Riddle clan being this loving, happy family, given their backgrounds. Bird Ginny didn't quite feel right to me, either.
If this indeed was an alternate ending, what do y'all think?
You can read the full write up on Mr. Palast's site here: Harry Potter, Jo's Other Ending.