Thursday, November 17, 2011

Truth Is Thursday!



Truth is: There was a picture of this older guy on the back of some magazine and I thought it was Larry Hagman (J.R. Ewing)…but it wasn’t…because I was looking at it upside down. Turned the right way, he clearly wasn’t J.R.  So, upside down he’s J.R.; right-side-up, not so much. I’m so interesting right now, huh? 

Truth is: I heard the Mariah Carey hit, All I Want For Christmas Is You on the radio…but it wasn’t the same...there was another voice joining her on the track…

My first thought was that the DJ had accidentally started another track over hers, but that couldn’t be since they were singing the same lyrics. No, it was clearly a duet. I had no idea who it was, but my reaction went something like this: “STOP!!! MY EARS! MY EARS!”

After the song ended, I uncovered my ears, and the DJ solved the mystery: “That’s the new Christmas single by Justin Bieber with Mariah Carey…”

Sigh.

Look, I’m sure he’s a great kid, but…well…it was just wrong.  I think it didn’t work because Mariah’s voice is just so much bigger than his. Reckon I just like the original. She's a legend--it's her song.

Truth is: Dad was in a cranky mood the other night. Unfortunately, it was the only time I could talk about Mom’s Christmas present with him without her trying to eavesdrop.

Cranky-pants + Christmas presents = borderline Donald Duck moment (his favorite Disney character).

So, he kept trying to change the subject, which I let him do a time or two before tactfully bringing the topic back around to Christmas.  By tactfully, I mean I said something very blunt like, “Okay, back to Christmas,” in a much too happy voice.  After about the third time, I finally got the semi-Donald Duck moment. 

Dad, red face and cranky: “I’m trying to talk about historical things here and you just want to talk about Christmas and it’s not even Thanksgiving.”

Admittedly, I was a little bouncy. It’s the Christmas vibe. I tend to get a little merry.

Me, my mind a complete blank as to how to un-cranky him: “Don’t snap at me! I’m being adorable here!”

Dad turned to look at me and his cranky, frown-y face broke into a huge grin.

Me, slightly embarrassed: “Well, maybe it’s more like adorkable.”

Dad, laughing: “No, it’s adorable.”

We talked about Mom’s Christmas present and he was a total teddy bear the whole time.

Truth is: Pretty sure it’s more like adorkable. :/




20 comments:

  1. I hope Mariah didn't let Justin get fresh with her, that kid is a sex maniac.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adorkable is my new favorite word. :)

    So glad you linked up! We were at McD's tonight and my son looked at the salad dressing wrapper (Clearly PAul Newman) and said "Look Ma! It's Ben Stiller."

    Seriously? I didn't even know he knew who Ben Stiller was.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adorkable is my new favorite word :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh! I love christmass so much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow! I'm jealous! I wish I had thought of adorkable for my New Word Wednesdays! lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Adorkable is the a notch above adorable. Don't be afraid to be adorkable. Embrace adorkableness!! ;o)

    Justin Beiber and Mariah Carey? And your radio didn't self-combust?

    I once saw a picture of Tom Selleck, and in my head I was thinking Tom Selleck, but spat out "Burt Reynolds". My parents looked at me like I had suffered a stroke. lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. GB: LOL--So the rumors would have you think. He's probably just a normal teen. I'm sure he had a blast with MC. :)

    Julianna: The Ben Stiller comment made me laugh out loud! I must have stared at the old man on the magazine for a good few minutes trying to decide if it was really Larry Hagman. Felt like an idiot when I turned it right side up. :/

    Jay: :)

    Rachel: Me too! Christmas is just the best time of year! From the music to decorations to food--love the holidays!!! :)

    Eva: LOL! :)

    J.Day: Is it?! Really?! A notch above adorable?! Oh my! Okay, I'll work to embrace my adorkableness, then! lol

    Yeah, shocked it didn't. My eardrums, on the other hand, weren't as fortunate. :/

    LOL--Oh, Lord, I just laughed to tears over the Tom Selleck/Burt Reynolds bit! Classic!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rachael: I'm so sorry I spelled your name wrong in the above comment. I usually double check those things, too. :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh brother! I'm glad it was not me who heard that song being played! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Carole: :)

    Yvonne: Fair warning because they are playing it way too much! :/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sooo glad I could bring a smile to your face! LOL I did feel like quite the idiot after Burt's name spewed from my lips. Don't think my parents believed me; probably thought I couldn't tell the difference between Tom and Burt! lol

    ReplyDelete
  12. hahahahahaha that totally sounds like a conversation between me and my dad.

    ReplyDelete
  13. YOU are adorable. That Bieber child is not.

    Love,
    Lola

    ReplyDelete
  14. J.Day: LOL--I've done stuff like that--it's like the brain and mouth just aren't in sync those days. lol

    Lex: :)

    LOLA: lol-Aww, thank you! You are a sweetheart!

    ReplyDelete
  15. ADORKABLE IS 1000 TIMES BETTER THAN ADORABLE.

    I just can't understand why so many artists hold Justin Bieber in such high regard. I mean, come on! The boy's voice sounds like he should be singing Sunday School songs, not singing a duet with the soulful and powerful singer that is Mariah Carey. I don't know, it just seems ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anna: Really???!!! Okay, I'm so loving adorkable right now!!! :D

    If you hear the duet, tell me what you think because, honestly, it hurts my ears. I feel awful saying that, but it does. You said it perfectly--Mariah is a powerhouse soul singer, while Justin...isn't. :/

    ReplyDelete
  17. I haven't heard the song yet, but let's just say that I'm glad my car has volume control on the steering column. Good Lord! That boy is everywhere. I'm sorry... I don't mean to be snarky, but he ain't no Donny Osmond! At least Donny's voice changed by 13 or 14! (I know, I'm baaad - and old LOL)

    On a more serious note... I just love your mom and dad. Your stories about them help me not miss mine quite so much. Thanks for that, my friend. :~)

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  18. Adorkable! That's my new favourite word!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Mrs. B: LOL--He is everywhere. I just can't like the song. Heard it again the other day and couldn't take it. lol

    Aw, I'm so glad you like them and the stories help you. My parents mean the world to me--and they are a kick to be around. lol

    Number 11: :) *Hugs*

    ReplyDelete