On this television Christmas music channel I listen to, they post random holiday facts. They are so interesting and fun and, well, jolly, that I thought y'all might like them too. So, from now through Christmas, I thought I would post as many as I can for you. :)
Here we go!
1. Evergreen, holly, ivy, and mistletoe are important plants in the Yule celebration, which symbolizes everlasting life.
2. The children of Poland receive presents twice during the holiday season. (might not want to tell the little ones this fun fact...you might not hear the end of it).
3. Woolworth's five-and-dime is credited with originating the whole wonderful idea of giving a Christmas bonus to employees. (I knew I loved Woolworth's!)
4. What are the top Christmas tree producing states? Oregon, Michigan, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, and California!
5. The real St. Nicholas was a bishop in the town of Myra during the 4th century. He became known for his supreme generosity, his love of children, and protecting and helping those in need. He also had a reputation for secret gift-giving. Hello, Santa!
6. Gene Autry was the first to record Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer.
7. Early versions of candy canes were actually straight. Later, they were bent to resemble a shepherd's staff.
8. The Christmas classic White Christmas has over 500 recorded versions in many different languages.
9. In 2009, the traditional Neiman Marcus Christmas book listed a giant motorized cupcake for $25,000.
10. When Santa first delivered Mr. Potato Head toys in 1952, they were simply plastic parts that could be stuck inside real potatoes.
11. The Charlie Brown Christmas special has been televised EVERY year since 1965.
12. The Pet Rock made creator Gary Dahl millions when it became a hugely popular gift in 1975.
Have a holly jolly weekend!!! (I need to cut back on the sugar!)