Wednesday, April 20, 2011

American Idol-Songs from the 21st Century Week

Tonight, our American Idol contestants selected songs from the 21st century. Overall, I thought they did well, but some of the song choices left me wanting more. 

Scotty, Swingin' by LeAnn Rimes: He sang it well, though not as strong as in past weeks. Now, you know I love Scotty--I think he will be huge in country music. BUT, I just didn't dig the song choice tonight. Why not a little Tim McGraw--I Like It, I Love It or Something Like That? His deep voice paired with those songs would have brought the country fans to their feet, big time.

James, Uprising by Muse: One word--Incredible. He BROUGHT it. Muse is just amazing, and James tackled that bad boy with ferocity. His performance really stood out for me.

Haley, Rolling In The Deep by Adele: I'm not sure about this one. She sang it pretty well, but I just didn't think it fit her.  The lyrics required an intensity that I didn't feel from her performance.  If she wanted to stick with Adele, maybe Chasing Pavements would have been a better choice, or a little King Of Anything by Sara Bareilles. 

Jacob, Dance With My Father by Luther Vandross: His voice and styling may not be everyone's cup of tea, but he's got talent. His performance was emotional. I do feel like he could have put more into it, vocally, but perhaps his emotional connection to the lyrics made it too difficult for him.  He also suffered an earpiece malfunction right from the start. Personally, I would have loved to see him take on Power of Love or Here and Now.

Casey, Harder to Breathe by Maroon 5: You know what? I really liked this performance! I was worried because I love me some Maroon 5 and Harder to Breathe is one of my favorite songs.  He's edgy. I like that. Performance wise, he knows how to sell the audience. He's different. Different is good. Dare to be different.

Stefano, Closer by Ne-Yo: Much better week for Stefano. He has a good voice, but his performances have been a little lacking. Tonight, he brought the energy...and some dance moves. Good for him!

Lauren, Born to Fly by Sara Evans: Another favorite song of mine, and sweet little Lauren did it proud. However, I have to agree with the judges, she needs to stretch her voice and really reach for it. She can do it! She just needs to believe and trust in her abilities.  

The mega-highlight for me tonight? Johnny Depp. Yes, they showed the trailer for the new Pirates of the Caribbean film, On Stranger Tides, and, yes, I love Johnny Depp...reckon I'm not the only hot-blooded girl.

So, for those of you watching Idol, what did you think of tonight's performances? Who do you think is in danger of going home?

5 comments:

  1. James gave me chills and I no lie teared up. I love him so much it isn't even funny. I loved his Uprising!

    My other favorite of the night was Casey with Maroon 5-like you I love them and was nervous but he did well with it.

    I can't get behind Hayley and her Adele "Rolling in the Deep". I love that song too much and her scratchy voice and weird pitch threw me. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't really watch Idol but according to your list they all did songs that I absolutely love I might have to go and watch it tomorrow :D

    As for Johnny Depp, I just can't get enough <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I seem to be the opposite on several of these. James is not good. He continually tries to force notes that are a little out of his range. He needs a very loud band to back him up and cover his lack of vocal ability. Jacob can be good if he doesn't try to force it too.
    I thought Haley did a good job, she isn't Adele. Not familiar with Stefano's tune, not my kind of music.
    Isn't 'Swingin' from the late 70s early 80s? Casey did a nice job but is he safe? Lauren was good and should be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jewels: Yeah, I just didn't care for Haley singing Adele. Maybe we're just spoiled to Adele's voice. :)

    Jax: Johnny Depp is just timeless. ;)

    Carole: Mmmm, indeed! lol

    George: Aww, I like James. I do hear what you are talking about--I notice it most frequently when he transitions between notes. Agree on Jacob--there is a happy medium with him that I'm not sure he's found. Swingin' is an older tune, redone.

    ReplyDelete