Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Dale Jr. & Moments With Mom

NASCAR, Martinsville: After Dale Earnhardt Jr. took the lead from Kyle Busch late in the race, the crowd--both in my house and at the track--jumped to their feet. But with a handful of laps remaining, Kevin Harvick passed Dale for the win. Some drivers may have bullied past Harvick to regain the lead, but Dale didn’t…and this may come as a surprise, since it is racing, but I’m glad he didn’t.  He showed great self-control by not trying to turn or bump past the 29. 

After the race, Dale seemed a little disappointed—he wanted that win, tasted it…and he wanted that darn clock, too (the trophy for the winner at Martinsville).  He’ll get that clock, and much more, I have no doubt.  Why?  Because, once again, the 88 team showed consistent, competitive, strong, and cohesive teamwork.  Steve Letarte, Dale’s crew chief, is encouraging, supportive, and knows how to improve the car for his driver.  It’s great to see.

Highlight of the race: During an in-car interview on a red flag stop, Dale gave a shout-out to his mom, bringing loads of smiles to his pit (and everyone listening). Is it any wonder why he is so well-liked?  

Speaking of moms, I thought you might like a funny mom moment from over the weekend.  

The Crossbody Handbag

Mom: "Oh! Honey, you have to see this cute little handbag I got in the mail."

Me, my handbag buzzer sounding off: "Oooh, lemme see!!!"

Mom, holding something I can only describe as a crinkly mess: "See, it's just big enough to fit my essentials in when I pop over to the craft store! Now, I don't have to haul that big old bag of mine around everywhere."

Insert awkward silence.  Insert crickets.  Picture my eyes, glazed over, staring at the tiny wannabe-handbag-impostor. 

Mom: "Honey? What do you think?"

As she moved the bag to show me how it would look on her, a flash of bright white print caught me eye. 

Me, slightly alarmed: "Mom, what does it say on the front of...it?" I couldn't bring myself to call it a handbag...creature from wannabe-handbag hell, more like.

Mom: "AARP.  They sent it to me. Wasn't that nice?"

Me, vigorously shaking my head: "Oh, no. No, no, no, no, no." 

Mom: "Honey?"

Me: "Mom, do you really want to walk around carrying a bag with AARP printed on it?"

Mom, contemplating things for a moment: "It's like saying, 'here comes the old fart,' isn't it?" I grinned and nodded. "Oh, Lord. You're right. I really did want a crossbody bag, though. Just something I can carry when I need to make a quick trip somewhere."

Me: "I'll keep an eye out for the perfect crossbody handbag for my mama...and it won't have AARP on it." 

Laughter ensued. 

Guess who will be getting a crossbody handbag for her birthday.

9 comments:

  1. LMAO Your mom is too funny! My mom would have been like, "I'm not old enough for AARP to be sending me this crap!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is funny! I get stuff from AARP and dump it in the trash!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you hear Jr radio in to apologize to his crew for allowing Harvick to pass him? And people think he's just a jerk riding a life of entitlement?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i am a fan of the crossbody. but without slogans, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Too funny! My mom would have worn that thing proudly! hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always enjoy your dialogue with your folks. It's cute and amusing.
    xoRobyn

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute story. Have you heard of Jann Arden (Canadian singer/writer)? She'll be in the middle of singing a song and stop to tell a "Mom" story.

    ReplyDelete
  8. J.Day: I think my mom has embraced the discounts AARP delivers. Otherwise, she's still a big kid.

    Eva: My mom used to do the same. No idea when she started embracing her age, but I swear it had to do with the discount factor. lol

    Jenner: :) And yet he had nothing to apologize for--the car got a little loose, as I recall. He fought for it the best he could under the circumstances. Dale is the real deal.

    Aubree: I like them, too...just not with AARP on 'em. lol

    Yvonne: Yeah, and I'm thinking my mom would have done the same if I hadn't stopped that faux-bag in its tracks. lol

    Robyn: :) Thank you. We are an amusing family, there's no doubt about that. lol

    Carole: I haven't, but I couldn't help but grin when I read your comment. How cute is that?!

    ReplyDelete
  9. hahahahahaha your mom is adorable!

    ReplyDelete