Lady Luck and I have never been close. Maybe it has to do with me not really relying on her help or calling her a choice name when she sticks her nose in where it doesn't belong. I'm convinced she gets sheer pleasure out of toying with the virgin...like I'm the yarn ball to her cat.
I guess it's safe to say we are at odds most of the time.
Still, I wish I had her direct line because Luck and I need to have a talk.
Yesterday, twenty-year-old NASCAR driver Trevor Bayne, became the youngest winner of the historic Daytona 500. Oh, and this was his FIRST EVER Daytona 500. To put this win into perspective, Tony Stewart, a two time series champion, has never won the Daytona 500.
I think just about every NASCAR fan and non-NASCAR fan was happy for this hard working, faith-driven young man.
However, what happened to Dale Earnhardt Jr. is just absurd.
Take a look at the following and tell me Lady Luck doesn't have some explaining to do:
1. Dale wins the pole for the Daytona 500 (meaning he starts the race 1st)
2. During practice, three cars jump in front of Jimmie and Dale, causing Dale to get hit from behind.
3. Pole car...gone; must move to the back-up car.
4. Because he has to move to the back-up car, Dale has to start the race in the back of the pack.
5. Dale masterfully moved up through the pack early on.
6. He lead nine laps over the course of the race.
7. By the end of the race, Dale was in position for the win.
8. With about FIVE laps remaining, he gets a flat tire.
9. Forced to pit, he has to restart 15th/16th.
10. Then, on the restart, he becomes collateral damage in another driver's wreck. Day over, car trashed.
11. From a possible win or top 5...to a 24th place finish.
BFF thought it was terrible what happened--just horrible, horrible luck.
If I could, I'd ask Luck why she feels it's necessary to continue battering the man. Don't you think he had enough of that last year?
Believe me when I say, there are other people in this world perhaps a bit more deserving of your game play. Then again, maybe no one deserves any of the rot you dish out.
Lady Luck, there's a reason your name rhymes with a less than flattering word.