Thursday, July 8, 2010

I Don't Get It #1: LeBron James, Kate Gosselin, & The Lohan Clan

One of my favorite actors is Tom Hanks. One of my favorites films is Big. One of my favorites quotes from that film is the "I don't get it" line; it happens in the marketing meeting scene with the building that turns into a robot ("What's fun about a building that turns into a robot?"). On a daily basis, I find myself shaking my head and saying, "I don't get it." So, how about an I Don't Get It feature--surely there are others out there who just don't get a lot of what they see and/or hear.

Today, I'm shaking my head at LeBron James, Kate Gosselin, and The Lohan Clan.

LeBron James: Tonight, during a one hour special, live on ESPN, LeBron will announce which NBA team he intends to play for next season. He's a tremendous athlete, don't get me wrong, but...well...he isn't the first great player to switch teams, and I dare say he won't be the last. So, why all the hoopla? I've been sitting on pins and needles about whether or not the supremely talented Dirk Nowitzki would re-sign with my Dallas Mavericks. He did resign...quietly. When Dale Earnhardt Jr. left DEI (Dale Earnhardt, Inc.) to join Hendrick Motorsports, he held a news conference. However, it was during the day and, after all, he was leaving his late father's organization--don't you think that warrants a news conference? I do. Tonight, LeBron will likely either stay in Cleveland or join the Miami Heat. I wish him luck--he's a terrific player and I enjoy watching him. But, all the hoopla? Aside from the payday possibly making NBA history, I don't get it.

Kate Gosselin: While watching a program on TLC, I saw an ad for an upcoming episode of Kate Plus 8. During the ad, the 8 are barely shown. Instead, you see Kate trying her hand at power-washing the house and hanging what I believe is a window screen, while traipsing across the roof (or the lower level roof area) in a miniskirt, yelping and moaning. Aside from the whole wearing-a-miniskirt-while-engaging-in-manual-labor thing, it dawned on me that this was a subtle marketing ploy for her upcoming Fall show, wherein she will try her hand at "everyday" jobs. From the miniskirt to the embedded marketing ploy--I don't get it.

The Lohan Clan: Today, Lindsay Lohan's father, Michael Lohan, was on Studio B with Shepard Smith...he also filmed a segment with Larry King Live. Apparently, he's extremely worried about the welfare of his daughter...so, he's giving interviews. Shepard put the heat on Michael Lohan, questioning his motives, and Michael snapped, even letting the F-word slip on live TV. He says he's hoping to save his daughter and, in some way, help save other young lives in trouble. He claims he's been trying to help her for years. Of course, hasn't he tried to get a reality show in the past? And was he not photographed hanging out with John Gosselin in the Hamptons a while back? Maybe he is sincere, and I truly hope he is--I'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt, but when I look at the big picture...I just don't get it.

2 comments:

  1. I've heard my bosses call people like that "media hounds." Or, if they're especially annoyed, "attention whores." Everyone in the newsroom was shouting at the guy interviewing LeBron tonight. Newspapers don't handle suspense well since we tell the whole story in the first sentence...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds about right. :)

    Oh, I know! Earlier in the day, I believe someone from ESPN said that the announcement would come within the first 10 minutes of the interview. Didn't it eventually come around the 30 minute mark?

    ReplyDelete