Thursday, July 22, 2010

The Shame Game

Some days are tougher than others. This is one of those days. In the span of about six hours, I've been shamed...twice...for who I am. I like to think I'm strong, but days like these tend to test my perceived strength. I like to call people who do the shaming, Sharon Shamers.

Sharon Shamer 1: Random talk with Sharon Shamer about life's stresses. I thought it was a good girl-talk until...

Sharon Shamer: "But, seriously sweetie, you can't really talk about stress, can you? I mean, you're single.  When you finally get a husband and have a two-year-old running around the house, then you've earned the right to share in the stress talk.  Until then, just enjoy life, buy yourself a little handbag or something.  Go shopping.  Do the light stuff singles do until your real life comes along. Although, you're choice makes you a little different than most singles, doesn't it? Well, good for you, sweetie. It will make it more difficult because most men aren't going to wait around, but, still, you will always have shopping."

Maybe she really did mean well.  It kinda stung, though.

Sharon Shamer 2: Sharon Shamer #2 decided to tell me all about her life before marriage. It was an interesting and fun story to hear, until...

Sharon Shamer #2: "I mean, I don't know what would have happened to me if I hadn't met my husband when I did. I didn't have a job, I was alone, and I was 29 years old! I mean, at 29, the window is about to close on opportunity. Any older and it's a total crap-shoot."

Yeah. Not a very good day. Kinda hurts, actually.

4 comments:

  1. Eff Sharon, next time they say that you say this... Oh my I am so glad I am alone, men are such assholes. I am so glad I am not married tied down with a baby on my hip. I am single, free, I can party, and shop, and blow my money going on vacations around the world.

    Really rub it in. Married people feel shitty about their lives just as much as singles do, but it take a real hole to rub it in, I say go for the low blow, you deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh. At least you have shopping? I kind of want to punch her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Queen! Rub that shit in! Being married with screaming kids who puke on you and crap on you and take away your whole life?!?!?! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You girls are too funny! You know, it just sucks when someone tries to shame you for where you are in life. Who does that?

    ReplyDelete